Sunday 16 June 2013

Nuffield Adventures Part 2

So it's finally here, take off day.  The first leg of my Nuffield personal study to investigate whether or not it is possible to grow a 20T/Ha wheat crop in the UK in the next 20 years.  It's been a long time in the planning stages with e-mails and skype messages, even finding contacts through twitter, but today is the day I head to Heathrow to set off for the first stop Calgary.  So if you are in Calgary and see a couple of lost Nuffield Scholars do stop us and hello!  I am travelling with Andrew Williamson from Bridgnorth in Shropshire for the first few days which I'm looking forward too.  It will be great to share some of the experience with a mate.
I'll be looking at growing wheat in the Canadian Prairies, the Great Plaines, the Palouse and the Dakota's of America, talking to farmers, scientists and agronomists.  It will be a great adventure as well as bringing some important messages back to UK Agriculture and new ideas for the home farm.  I will try and update the blog as much as I can to keep you all posted about the journey I'm about to embark on! 

No comments: