Thursday 16 November 2017

Crimper Conundrum

There is so much public awareness of the perceived issues with Glyphostate at the moment even though 3300 studies have shown it to be a very benign chemical when used correctly in the field.  With any potential restriction on its use being enforced on us I wanted to have a look at an alternative method of killing a cover crop before we plant our harvestable, or cash crop, into the field.  To me a cover crop can only enhance the soil and the wider environment.  It shields the soil from rain, reducing runoff and erosion; it feeds the soil biology with carbohydrates and encourages the development of below ground microbial populations; provides winter feed for our sheep; increases soil organic matter to hold more nutrients and water-its a no brainier for the farm and the wider environment.
Black Oat and Vetch Covercrop
Without glyphosate the termination, or killing, of these crops could prove to be very tricky in our maritime climate.  The cover crop can grow rather large and I don't want to have endless passes with toppers or cultivators to kill the cover crops.  Doing this is expensive, uses fossil fuel and releases CO2, cultivations mean even more CO2 released from the organic matter held in the soil, as it is exposed to oxygen, it means more tractors on the land, causing compaction where they drive which can lead to poorer water infiltration and therefore soil erosion.  So what's an alternative?

With a loan of a crimper roller from Cotswold Grass Seeds (thank you) we had a little play in a large cover crop of black oats, vetch, phacelia and berceem clover.

The idea of the crimper roller is to lay the plants down and squash the stems with metal blades in the hope that this bends or cuts the stems stopping nutrients getting up the stem into the top of the plants, end result being the killing of the cover crop, and any nests or wildlife that gets in the way-but we'll gloss over that for now!
Crimper Roller
We tried the crimper roller on the back of a tractor at first and drove in reverse to make the chevrons point in the right direction but ended up going in round in circles!  So we unhitched the weights from the front linkage of another tractor and set off across the field at 10kph, with the crimper on the front with a bit more success!  The roller weighed in at 620Kg for a 2m machine so about 310kg/m.
Crimped Covercrop 7 Days Post Crimping
I came back to the plot 7 days later to see if it had actually worked and I am sorry to say that it didn't. The oats seems to still be alive and the vetch, which I though would have been totally animated, were still just about hanging on.  The concern for me is we need to find something that works consistently every year and as every season if different.  We need to grow significant levels amounts of green matter and these need killing-somehow.

Maybe we used the wrong machine, maybe at the wrong time  for the plants growth stage,or at the wrong speed or it wasn't heavy enough?  Maybe we need to graze some of the covers down first to weaken then plants?  Maybe it just doesn't work in our climate where we don't always have a frost to follow up and finish off the wounded crop?  Who knows and more work needs to be done, but for now I am not impressed.





4 comments:

Niels C said...

It's not the wrong machine or insufficient weight. Crop must be fully mature before it will crimp successfully. And vetch. Needs mowing. Does succefully mow kill.
For this and other reasons - like expensive seed and insufficient soil temps for N fixation - means I would avoid these species for most cover crop apps.

Unknown said...

nice pictures and content liked it
Farming Business Opportunities

marynelson said...

My name is mary,i am here to testify of how i got cured from KIDNEY
CANCER I was searching through the net for cure on KIDNEY CANCER and i saw comment of people talking about how Dr Scofua cured them. I was scared because
never believed in the Internet but i decided to give him a try because i was having no hope of been cured of this VIRUS.so i decided to contact him with his email that was listed on the comment when i contacted him he gave me hope and sent a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it help me a lot, now i’m a free person,my KIDNEY CANCER TEST result came out NEGATIVE. I pray for you DR SCOFUA, God will give him everlasting life, you shall not die before your time for being a sincere and great man. I’m so happy.you can also contact him if you have any problem via
Email:drscofuaherbalhome02219@gmail.com HE ALSO CURES OTHER DISEASES
LIKE (1).HERPES CURE(2).ALS (3).HEPATITIS B(4).HIV/AIDS CURE(5).HPV
CURE(6).SPIRITUAL HEALINGS (7).ASTHMA(8).DIABETES(9)PENIS ENLARGEMENT

Unknown said...

I contacted herpes' I was told there is no herpes cure except treatment to
control it. I totally lost hope. All I could think was losing my life it
was so embarrassing to have this virus, few weeks ago I ready about a
possible natural herbs cure which was guaranteed. And I ordered the natural
herbs treatment from Dr voodoo after some weeks I got 100? cure. Now I'm so
excited to share this testimony contact Dr voodoo WhatsApp number
+2348140120719 also e-mail him at: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com